• How do I know if I should disenroll or defer enrollment in Medicare Part B?

    If you’re serving outside the United States for 12 months or more and have adequate insurance coverage (such as the Senior Service Medical Plan), you may choose to disenroll or defer enrollment. However, in some cases it may not be in your best interest to do so. For example, you should not disenroll from Part B if you’re enrolled in a retiree health plan from DMBA, TRICARE for Life, or any other plan where disenrolling would adversely affect your benefits from the plan. For more information, see the next question.

  • Will disenrolling or deferring my enrollment in Part B adversely affect my coverage from another plan?

    To find out if you can safely disenroll from or defer Part B, check with your current health insurance provider. Be sure to ask your insurance provider these questions:

    • Will disenrolling or deferring my enrollment in Part B adversely affect my coverage from another plan? To find out if you can safely disenroll from or defer Part B, check with your current health insurance provider. Be sure to ask your insurance provider these questions:

    • Will my insurance plan provide sufficient coverage while I’m outside of the United States? (If it won’t, you might consider disenrolling from the plan during your mission.)

  • If I discontinue my insurance coverage during my mission, can I re-enroll when I return without any penalties, delays in coverage, pre-existing condition limitations, or underwriting restrictions?

    If applicable, explain to your insurance provider that, since they don’t provide adequate coverage outside of the United States, you’ll have other coverage during your mission and will provide a Certificate of Creditable Coverage to them when you return home. If your insurance provider says you can safely disenroll, be sure to ask for a written confirmation as a protection to you.

  • I can safely disenroll from Part B. How do I disenroll and when will it become effective?

    To disenroll, submit the Request for Termination of Premium Hospital and/or Supplementary Medical Insurance form to the Social Security Administration office. When filling out the form, remember to only mark the “Medical Insurance” box. Do not mark the “Hospital Insurance” box, which is for Part A. When indicating the reason for ending your Medical Insurance, refer to CMS Policy HI00805.350 Special Enrollment Period for International Volunteers. Make one copy of the completed form for your records and another copy to send to Missionary Medical.

    Your disenrollment request will become effective at the end of the month following the month the Social Security Administration receives it. For example, if your request is received on March 15, your Part B coverage will continue until April 30.

  • Do I have to be serving outside of the United States to take advantage of this new legislation?

    Yes. You must be serving outside of the United States when your disenrollment from Part B becomes effective. If you’re already serving outside of the United States, you can submit your disenrollment request at any time, but we recommend you don’t disenroll if you have less than 6 months remaining on your mission. If you haven’t begun your mission service yet, don’t submit your disenrollment request any earlier than the month before your anticipated departure date.

  • What if I submit my disenrollment request and then delay my mission, or my assignment changes to inside the United States?

    You may revoke your disenrollment request by submitting a reversal request form or calling the Social Security Administration anytime before your disenrollment becomes effective. If you don’t revoke your disenrollment request before it becomes effective, you may experience a gap in coverage or be subject to a premium penalty and waiting period when you re-enroll.

  • I’m not yet eligible for Part B. How do I defer my enrollment once I become eligible?

    If you aren’t already receiving Social Security benefits and you become eligible for Parts A and B while serving your mission, you should request enrollment in Part A from the Social Security Administration. At the same time, notify them that you aren’t enrolling in Part B and explain why.

    If you’re already receiving Social Security benefits, the Social Security Administration will send you materials about enrollment in Part A and elective enrollment in Part B when you become eligible. Those materials will include forms for declining enrollment in Part B.

  • How do I enroll in Part B when my mission ends?

    Your SSMP coverage will only continue until the end of the month in which your service ends. We’ll send you forms and information on how to enroll in Part B about three months before your return date. After sending in the forms, your coverage will begin on the first day of the month following the month you enroll.

    The special enrollment period for international volunteers allows you to enroll or re-enroll in Part B without increased premiums or waiting periods. This enrollment period begins on the first day of the month in which you’re released. Please mail your forms so that they will arrive at the Social Security Administration shortly after this date. Depending upon the quality of the mail service where you’re serving, you may want to use a private delivery service. It’s very important that your forms are received before the end of the month in which you’re released.

    Although you will have Part B coverage beginning the first day of the month following the month you enroll, it may take several months before you receive a new Medicare card. Until you receive your new card, explain to your health-care providers that you have enrolled in Part B but haven’t received your card yet. They should know how to handle such a situation.

  • What about Medicare Part A?

    Part A coverage helps pay for inpatient hospital care, inpatient skilled nursing facility care, and some home health and hospice care. If you or your spouse has been adequately employed in the United States for more than 10 years, you don’t have to pay for Part A coverage. (For more information, contact the Social Security Administrationwww.ssa.gov. If you have to pay for your Part A coverage, please contact Missionary Medical.)

    Do not disenroll or defer your enrollment in Part A. If you turn 65 while serving and already receive benefits from Social Security, your enrollment in Part A will be automatic. If you turn 65 while serving and don’t already receive Social Security benefits, you must call Medicare at 1-800-772-1213 inside the United States or 410-965-9398 outside the United States. To avoid any gaps in coverage, you should enroll in Part A as soon as you’re eligible.

  • What about Medicare Part D?

    Part D provides prescription drug coverage and may be included in your Medicare-approved plan or purchased separately. To qualify for Part D coverage, you must maintain a legal residence in the United States. Whether you can continue your Part D coverage while you serve depends on how your Part D provider interprets this legal residence requirement. If you continue Part D coverage, you’ll probably need someone to forward your prescriptions to you in the mission field, since they will be mailed to your U.S. address. If you discontinue Part D, you may re-enroll when you return home and either show you’ve been outside of the United States or have had non-Medicare creditable prescription drug coverage (such as SSMP coverage). In any case, you should carefully consider whether dropping your Part D coverage and re-enrolling later will result in any gaps in coverage or other problems.

  • What should I do now?

    Medicare Dis-enrollment

    Medicare Re-enrollment

    Please contact us to let us know if you’ll be disenrolling, deferring, or maintaining your Part B coverage:

    • By Telephone at 801-578-5650 or Toll free at 1-800-777-1647
    • By FAX at 801-578-5907
    • By Email to srmiss@dmba